Madonna responds to Malawi Court Decision
"I am shocked and saddened by the decision made today by the Malawian court, which sentenced two innocent men to prison.

As a matter of principle, I believe in equal rights for all people, no matter what their gender, race, color, religion, or sexual orientation.

Today, Malawi took a giant step backward. The world is filled with pain and suffering; therefore, we must support our basic human right to love and be loved.

I call upon the progressive men and women of Malawi—and around the world—to challenge this decision in the name of human dignity and equal rights for all."

Click here to access the Raising Malawi website and add your name in support of equal rights

May 24 Update: 20,000 strong have voiced their support for equal rights in Malawi. Have you added your name to Madonna's statement? Click the link and sign to join Madonna.

Comment Form

Comments

atenea on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 said:
by the release of the couple malawi
Rank:
you're the genius in the world my little darling and i love you so much, really i admire so much you're the best!!!!! don't forget
guyguyguy on Monday, May 24, 2010 said:
NO MORE THAT !
Rank:
WE ALL MUST WORK HARD AGAIN AND AGAIN AGAINST WHAT IS HAPPENINIG, EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD. I'M FRENCH AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT DISCRIMINATION IS STILL ON THE STREET , AT WORK, FROM NEIGHBOURHOOD HERE. I'M SO SICK AND TIRED. THANK U MADONNA 4 ALL YOUR SUPPORT !
pepego on Monday, May 24, 2010 said:
You're doing a great contribution
Rank:
Madonna has made an incredible contribution to the world by giving her support to these 2 guys in Malawi sentenced to years of prison. We have to help her. She´s the Queen!
RinoTheBouncer on Sunday, May 23, 2010 said:
I'm With Madonna
Rank:
Someone had to do somethin' abt this, and Madonna did it and I'm with here, it's pure bulllsh*t to sentence two innocent people to prison just because they love each other. the world has enough hate and pain and no need to add more.
Vogue1 on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
Enough
Rank:
I a world with diversity we need them to be released from jail now and not later. Madonna thanks for Raising Malawi to bad the government isn't. "Free Them" Thanks for your voice in this.
1hardM on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
Madonna Rocks
Rank:
Thank you Madonna for always standing by your gay's!!!!!!
hardvogue on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
freedom and to live
Rank:
all we have to give the hand to be able to contend with the prejudices of the people. we all have equal rights to come and go. madonna I'm with you in this fight for the people of Malawi have their freedom and to live
KeithHass on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
Madonna speaks for people in Malawi agai
Rank:
Madonna you are fantastic for doing this. I added my name and some others for our fight in this matter. Thanks a million times. KH
ismamvd on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
THANKS FOR DOING STH!
Rank:
When i heard about it my first tought was "Madonna will do something"... Malawi is like your country, I mean, the country you want to change and want it people be happier. I think you voice in Malawi has to be heard by goverment and people just because its horrible what they're doing with them.
Thanks Madonna, you know, we gay people LOVE you :)
angeltserovski on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
Why´s It so Hard (to Love)
Rank:
We all have to join and support Madonna. It is important!
gllnconno7 on Saturday, May 22, 2010 said:
malawi court decision
Rank:
I am shocked at this news like we all do not know the painand suffering in this world. thes 2 innocent men should not be jailed for loving one another I am with madonna by backing her i have emailed all friends and family and put it out there on facebook to support equal rights.
mfangirl on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
IGNORANCE
Rank:
That's the word that came to my mind about that decision. Of course I will add my name in support of equal rights.
Rocco72 on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
Malawi: Judge Convicts Gay Couple
Rank:
http://media.community.madonna.com/_Malawi-Judge-Convicts-Gay-Couple/blog/2343929/119720.html Who better to get the word out on human equality.
Mcaroll37 on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
AIMER
Rank:
En amour, il n'y a ni crimes ni délits!
LaIslaMaria on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL
Rank:
YOUR RESPONSE IS TRULY APPRECIATED-THANK YOU MADONNA !! LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND XOXOXOX
on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
People of Malawi
Rank:
Thank you Madonna for continuing to use your global influence for the greater good. I hope the people of Malawi are listening to you, and take quick action to change this great injustice.
Mcaroll37 on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
injustice
Rank:
ce qu'il faudrait condamner c'est l'ignorance et la bêtise!!!
nectan on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
Rank:
I remember when I was younger before I was out and after I came out when the world was not as gay friendly. Your message of equality for all always gave me hope. Thank you for always promoting expressing yourself. Please let me know what I can do to help.
dizzysmadonna on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
devastated
Rank:
Thank you Madonna for sharing my devastation. For those fans who don't understand the background: Tiwonge Chimbalanga (20) and his partner Steven Monjeza (26) are two young men who have been condemned to prison for 14 years for no other reason than living together and their need to share their hapiness with the rest of the world. We should all be happy that we are living in the free part of the world, it is sadly not a prerogative for everyone. Let's give these boys our support; it should pass by unnoticed.
c_maclaren on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
cmac
Rank:
good for you madonna, using your celebrity to raise awareness.
mikey483 on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
:o)
Bravo Madonna!
Superwall on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
New Delhi made a giant step foreward.
Rank:
I am very glad to share that, according to BBC, "A court in the Indian capital, Delhi, has ruled that homosexual intercourse between consenting adults is not a criminal act." Check it out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8129836.stm
alphastarboi on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
re: set back
Rank:
That is very sad news and such a step backwards. I agree and hope for equal rights for all around the world. Maybe one day, we can all see the light and come together.
naed on Friday, May 21, 2010 said:
Thank You for showing support!
Rank:
This is a discussting report! We have to get together to show support for the Couple that have been imprisoned! Thank you to Madonna for responding so quickly to this shocking breach of Human rights!

ON THIS DAY...