November 27, 2013
Madonna Visits J/P Haitian Relief Organization In HaitiJ/P Haitian Relief Organization, along with founder and CEO, Sean Penn, welcomed Madonna and her son, Rocco, to the J/P HRO-managed Petionville Camp in Port-au-Prince, Haiti earlier this week where she witnessed firsthand J/P HRO's progress in the Haiti reconstruction effort. During their visit, Madonna toured the J/P HRO camp, where there are now less than 2,000 residents in the once tent-city of 60,000 internally displaced citizens, and met with senior program managers, visited its medical facilities, community center and engineering projects and spent time at a J/P affiliated school to connect with students. She also took a tour of the site of the national palace, which J/P HRO cleared last year, and then visited the slums of Cite Soleil.
Through Instagram, Madonna engaged fans in her experience in Haiti, posting photos of the country's inspiring children and various locales such as the beach of Ile-a-Vache, an island off the southwestern peninsula of Haiti. She encouraged fans to support J/P HRO programs which provide health care, education, construction and the safe return to permanent housing for displaced earthquake survivors residing in the Petionville Camp. This week, Penn launched his own Instagram to raise awareness of J/P's continuing efforts in Haiti: http://www.instagram.com/seanpenn.
"The progress that has been made in Haiti is extraordinary, but it's clear there is so much more to be done," said Madonna. "I'm very inspired by J/P HRO's dedication and long-term commitment to the families and children of Haiti. What Sean and his organization have done is truly remarkable. They are paving the way to a brighter future for thousands of people. It's vital that the world stays on course with the reconstruction of Haiti."
"I was very proud to introduce Madonna and her son to the work we are doing in Haiti," said Sean Penn. "It is my hope that more people will visit Haiti and see for themselves the beauty, spirit and potential of this great country."
Madonna's Ray of Light Foundation is expected to join forces with J/P HRO on their continuing support for the citizens of Haiti. Details will be announced at a later date.
Below are highlights of J/P HRO's key achievements:
CAMP AND RELOCATIONS MANAGEMENT
- Since Feb. 1, 2013, and through an $8.75 million grant from the Government of Haiti and The World Bank, J/P HRO has implemented a relocation process to transition the remaining people living in the Petionville and Cite Maxo displacement camps. Of the 60,000 people who lived in the Petionville Camp, today, less than 2,000 people remain.
- By the end of 2013, J/P HRO will have achieved a significant milestone in the successful relocation of all remaining camp families.
- In 2013 and in collaboration with the J/P HRO Medical Program, 4,000 camp residents were vaccinated against cholera which has greatly contributed to the prevention of a widespread outbreak of cholera in the camp and neighboring communities.
- In 2013, the all-Haitian medical staff, working out of two clinics, will have seen and treated more than 108,000 people-approximately 9,000 patients per month.
- On average, each month J/P HRO's medical staff vaccinates nearly 600 children against life-threatening diseases and delivers 38 healthy babies, sustaining a 0 percent maternal mortality rate.
Every month, the J/P HRO Women's Clinic provides health services to an average of 650 pregnant women.
- 120 school teachers from 22 participating schools in the Delmas 32 neighborhood receive training on innovative teaching practices, which positively impacts more than 6,000 students who are currently enrolled in school attending school.
- Nearly 2,000 individuals have been trained on business management.
- More than 250 community members participate in activities held at the J/P HRO Community Center each week, where 36 community members volunteer their time.
- 200 young women have been enrolled in an intensive training program which included 450 hours of vocational training for each participant, easing access for them into non-traditional roles in the workplace.
ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION
- The Engineering and Construction Department continues to transform Port-au-Prince neighborhoods through the demolition and clearing of more than 2,500 damaged home sites and 350 technical demolitions of severely damaged structures located throughout Port-Au-Prince, including the National Palace. More than 500,000m3 of rubble has been from city streets and neighborhoods-equal to over 1.3 million tons.
- In 2013, a structural retrofit project provided housing to 280 additional families.
INSTAGRAM PHOTOS FROM HAITI
- Photo of Sean in Haiti: http://instagram.com/p/hJczUqSRlG/
- Photo of Haitian school by Madonna: http://instagram.com/p/hJrXhDGEV-/
- Photo of tent by Madonna: http://instagram.com/p/hJd1qMGERZ/
- Photo of Haitian child by Sean: http://instagram.com/p/hMlF3WSRpK/
- Photo of Ile-a-Vache by Madonna: http://instagram.com/p/hMRy8CmEd-/
ABOUT J/P HAITIAN RELIEF ORGANIZATION
J/P Haitian Relief Organization is dedicated to saving lives and bringing sustainable programs to the Haitian people quickly and effectively. Following the tragic earthquake of 2010, J/P HRO began working immediately to make a meaningful and lasting impact in Haiti. The goal of J/P HRO is to support the residents of the camps we manage and surrounding areas transition from life left homeless by the earthquake to durable, sustainable, and prosperous communities. J/P HRO has implemented its mission through four integrated programs: Medical, Camp & Relocations Management, Engineering & Construction, and Community Development. We work with the support of and in collaboration with local and national government leaders, community based organizations, other international NGOs, UN agencies, donors and-most importantly-the community members themselves. More information can be found at www.jphro.org. You can follow J/P HRO on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/JPHRO, add J/P HRO to your Google+ circles at http://bit.ly/jphroplus, and find J/P HRO on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/JPHRO.