April 08, 2008
Now you can have the whole world in your hands!
Vanityfair.com, on behalf of Madonna's designated charity, Raising Malawi, has arranged to auction off the autographed globe from the singer's May 2008 Vanity Fair cover shoot. The package also includes two tickets to a very special Madonna performance in New York City at the end of April, and much more.
The auction begins on April 8th at 7pm (EST) and runs until April 18, 2008.
A mid - century fashion - magazine cover inspired V.F. editor Graydon Carter to have Madonna pose with a globe, and the singer immediately embraced the idea. Michael Roberts, the magazine's fashion and style director, then commissioned London - based set designer Robbie Doig to build the giant orb. Constructed of plaster and marble dust with a recyclable polystyrene core, it took 10 days to complete. With a four - foot diameter and weighing in at about 80 pounds, the globe was suspended from the ceiling of Los Angeles's Smashbox Studios for the photo shoot, on February 21, 2008. Madonna maneuvered herself around the world's circumference while photographer Steven Meisel captured the superstar from all angles. When the shoot came to an end, Madonna signed the globe - making a point to draw a heart over Africa.
The package includes:
- the autographed globe from Madonna's performance May 2008 Vanity Fair cover shoot;
- two tickets to a very special Madonna performance in New York at the end of April;
- accommodation for two nights at N.Y.C.'s Bowery Hotel;
- dinner at Gemma - one of Manhattan's hottest restaurants;
- round - trip airfare for you and a guest (from select cities) to N.Y.C., provided by Virgin America.
For more information, please visit: www.vanityfair.com